The walking lunge targets the quads, glutes and hip flexors and with enough of them can make a brutal work-out. Using proper technique for the lunge is essential for protecting the muscles of the legs and the knees.
- Stand tall
- Core engaged
- Hands are at the sides, behind the head, or on the hips (NOT on the knees as you lunge)
- Step forward in line with the hips with one foot
- Plant the foot so that the knee is over the ankle and NOT forward of the toes
- Bend the rear leg until the rear knee gently touches the ground
- Stand up completely as you move from one lunge to the next